When to go to Kenya for a safari
When to go to Kenya for a safari: Kenya is a world-recognized safari destination famously known for excellent wildlife tours, mountain climbing, and many more, many tourists all over the world wonder about the best time to visit Kenya for Kenya safari.
According tour and travel experts the time to go to Kenya for a safari is determined by weather and climate, Kenya receives two weather conditions that is wet and dry season.
Dry season in Kenya is experienced in 2 seasons that is short and long dry season, short dry season is experienced from January to February and long dry season is experienced from June to October.
Wet season in Kenya is also experienced in 2 seasons that is short wet season and long dry season, short wet season is experienced from March to May and long wet season from November to December.
When to go to Kenya for a safari as explain by months
January is a dry season in Kenya but due to the country’s close proximity to the equator, it is sometimes difficult to predict the weather, January is characterized of warm sunny days and usually little rainfall is received. In January
- Game viewing is excellent throughout Kenya game viewing destinations such as Maasai Mara national reserve, due to short grass cover impressive number of game and predators such as lions, leopards, cheetahs, warthogs, zebras and many more are easily to spot.
- It is a birthing season in Samburu national reserve with huge number of babies being born which causes a stir with predators such as lions, cheetahs, leopards who hunt the young ones.
- In this month, the waters are clearer with clarity of up to 30 meters, the clarity of the waters makes the period perfect for snorkeling and diving.
Due to the sunny days and less rainfall amount January is the best month to visit Kenya for Kenya game viewing tours and Kenya marine activities such as snorkeling and diving.
February is a continuation of the dry season in Kenya and like January, weather conditions are a little hard to predict due to the close proximity to the equator. February is characterized of long days filled with a lot of sunshine and little chances of rain pours, in February
- Large herds of buffaloes in Maasai Mara national reserve congregate with plenty of their newly born babies which a last season of birthing and lion hunt in the reserve and can be witnessed.
- Is an ideal time for beach safaris due to too much sunshine, in this month the coast is at its most clear point thus offering views of white sand and the blue waters of Indian Ocean.
Generally February is a perfect month to visit Kenya for game viewing safaris, due to less rain pours and scarce vegetation covers excellent views of animals are got while on Kenya wildlife tours in various game viewing destinations such as Maasai Mara national reserve, Amboseli national park and many more.
March is a start of wet season in Kenya, though it is a rainy season, plenty of sunshine is received but afternoon showers are expected. March
- Is still a good time for game viewing in Maasai Mara national reserve, Amboseli national park and others as long as you don’t mind a little rain pours occasionally received.
- There are abundance of young antelopes in Samburu national reserve/
March is a still good time for Kenya safaris but expect to be interrupted by afternoon rain pours and wildlife views is not as clear as that of January and February due to lush and green vegetation.
April is a continuation of a wet season in Kenya and in this time of the year high rain pours are received, because of too much rain fall received. There is green vegetation and routes become very slippery, still this period provides excellent game viewing opportunities. In April
- Large herds of elephants most especially in Maasai Mara national reserve move out of their forested habitats (forests) to the open plains to feed on the lush grasses.
- In the waters of Indian oceans, sharks and Manta rays are present thus providing excellent marine viewing experience and diving.
April is a good period of the year to visit Kenya for Kenya diving and game viewing safaris
May is still a wet season in Kenya with regular rain pours for a short period of time and the rest of the hours of the day are filled with sunshine, the month of May is characterized with
- Longer grass vegetation cover which is good cover for predators like lions, cheetahs, leopards among others, these predator hide in the tall grass as they try to hunt for gazelles and antelopes and this hunting action is viewed in Kenya game viewing destination such as Maasai Mara national reserve, Tsavo national parks among others.
- Rare species of Kenya wildlife are present specifically the beautiful pinstriped Grevy’s zebra
- Ocean creatures are present such as numerous species of fish making this period a great time for fishing activities.
June is the start of dry season in Kenya with little rainfall and long sunny days, this period of the year is the best time to visit Kenya for numerous Kenya safaris such as game viewing safaris, mountain climbing, walking safaris among others. In June
- Grass cover is still long which disrupts clear viewing of the animals, huge numbers of claves are newly born in Maasai Mara national reserve.
- In Samburu national reserve and Kenya game viewing destinations, animals are easily sighted congregating at the perennial water sources in the parks and reserve to drink water.
- Because of the good weather, boat cruises are fantastic on Indian ocean boating spots such as Funzi Island.
Generally, June is a good period of the year to visit Kenya for Kenya bird watching safaris, game viewing and many more.
July is a continuation of a dry season with usually little rainfalls and warm sunny days, in this period the great wildebeest migration arrive in Kenya’s Maasai Mara national reserve with river crossing at Mara River. In the river crossing millions of wildebeests, zebras and gazelles cross the deadly river infested with Nile crocodiles and predators such as lions, leopards, cheetahs and wild dogs lined up on the river banks. The river crossing action is an action life and death to the animals as the predators attack the migrating animals. In July
- With the arrival of the wildebeest migration, there is impressive and exceptional game viewing in Maasai Mara national reserve
- Huge population of wildlife species congregate along Ewaso Nyiro River to drink water
- In the coast areas of Kenya, the conditions are ideal for kite boarding and windsurfing safaris.
July is an excellent time to visit Kenya for a safari
August is a continuation of dry season in Kenya with high temperatures, sunny days and little chances of rainfalls, August is one of the excellent time of the year to visit Kenya for Kenya game viewing safaris, bird watching safaris and beach safaris. In August
- the great wildebeest migration in present in Kenya in Maasai Mara national reserve
- animals congregate at water sources in various national parks to drink water
- Coastal beaches have clear waters and the sands are crystal white offering ideal conditions for beach relaxation safaris, diving, snorkeling and swimming activities.
September is still a dry season in Kenya with sunshine dominating the days with little chances of rain, this time of the year offers expecting game viewing opportunities as
- The great wildebeest migration is present in Maasai Mara national reserve
- The thin grass cover offer clear views of animals
- Elusive wildlife species are present in the Samburu national reserve
- Dolphins are present in the coastal waters of the Kenya coast offering excellent swimming experience with the dolphins.
September is an excellent time of the year to visit Kenya for an amazing Kenya tours
October is the last month of the dry season in Kenya characterized of raising temperatures and rainy afternoon towards the end of the month, in this month
- Catch the end of the action packed Great Migration as a lot of predators that are lions, cheetahs, leopards and African wild dogs attack the migrating herds.
- Because of the extreme weather conditions, animals congregate at the remaining water sources in the parks and reserves to drink water.
- The billfish fishing season kicks off in Kenya offering exciting fishing safaris.
October is a good period of the time to visit Kenya for a safari
November is the beginning of the wet season with severe rains and ample sunshine, November is still a good time to visit Kenya for a safari as
- It is a calving season and numerous young animals of topis, impalas, giraffes are sighted and the presence of the young calves invite predators such as cheetahs, lions and hunting event is sighted.
November is a good time of the year to visit Kenya for a safari
December is a wet season in Kenya characterized of too much rainfalls and long hours of sunshine in between, in the period of December
- Is a rutting season for the antelopes in Maasai Mara, in this season male antelopes are at their prime, posturing and fighting for territories and mates.
- It is also a start of the birthing season for antelope species in Samburu national reserve which creates excitement in predators.
December is relatively a good time to visit Kenya
In conclusion, the best time to go to Kenya for a safari is in the dry season from July to October and in this period August and September are considered to be the most busy time of the dry season especially in Maasai Mara national reserve due to the Great wildebeest migration.